Thursday, May 26, 2011

"I could use a beer. When are you going to be their?"

Before I go any further past that awful excuse for a headline, let me just say that I know I am neurotic.  A self-proclaimed b*tch.  Perhaps this plays a small part in why I am single, but that's not really what this entry is about so let's get to the nitty gritty.

I know I am in this weird spot where I really find dating to be a chore and it doesn't hold much interest for me right now.  That said, let's rewind to a cold February afternoon when I met Charlie (names have been changed to protect the identity of the victims of this blog).  My best friend Matt (his name has not been changed because he is not a victim - - at least not as I see it) and I were out to lunch and saw Charlie sitting across the bar.  After some time, Matt followed Charlie into the bathroom and in true creeper fashion, decided to tell Charlie that I thought he was cute and that he should come and talk to me.  Charlie, not being from around here (clearly, as you'll see what transpired next) tells Matt that he's "no CENSORED and that he'll come and talk to me directly" (see?  not from around here).  Anyway, long story longer, he does just that and I have a nice time chatting with him for the rest of our time there.  Fast forward a few months when Charlie actually moves to Minnesota.  Through a series of text messages, I invite Charlie out once again with Matt and me.  The response was devestating.  "I could use a beer.  When are you going to be their?" 

Charlie came out.  Had a couple of beers and went about his business.  But somehow I couldn't get past that interchangeable use of the word their.  I mean there.  Or is it they're?  Whatever.  The fact is, their were several more texts and the same mistake continued on.  It pains me.  It pains me that I not only use this as a reason to not date Charlie, but because I clearly find myself without flaw and can judge a person for such a dumb thing.  Although, we are in our thirties and should be able to use there, their and they're (as well as you're and your & here and hear) properly.  I could go on and on about this, but I'll save you the gory details.  Suffice it to say that I like my men to be able to know the difference between these words.  Neurotic much?

No comments:

Post a Comment