Thursday, June 9, 2011

The Cost of the Feminist Movement*

I may ruffle some feathers with this, but it must be done and I am fully prepared.

As a female, I have to say that the Susan B. Anthony's of the world are amazing (how can you not think someone with their own coin is anything but?)  I appreciate what she, and her fellow feminists, did for the lives of women.  But I sometimes want to kick her in the throat.  All of them, actually.  The Women's Movement was making great strides.  Allowing women to vote.  Getting birth control recognized, approved and accepted.  Equal rights in the work place and no discrimination against you barefoot and preggo ladies.  All of this is rockstar status awesome.  But let me tell you what isn't.

Since the Women's Movement, we have, as women, become more and more independent and free thinking.  Again, coo.  Somewhere along the way though, we decided to tell men that it was ok for them to stop opening doors for us, because, well, "I can take care of that on my own!" or that he didn't have to act chivalrous at all, really, because we were too strong for that.  Being strong and independent kicks arse.  Taking care of yourself is essential and all people, men and women alike, should be able to do just that.  But that doesn't mean I need to cut the balls off of every man I meet and tuck them away in my purse!  It doesn't mean that I don't want a man to treat me with the respect a lady truly deserves (perhaps then I'd actually act like a lady.)  I really have no use for a pair of balls in my purse anyway.  It just isn't practical to take up space for something that really doesn't do me any good in having.

Back in the day, there was courting, there was true flirting, and there was kindness.  You know what dating has become since this Women's Movement?  A headache.  A mess of games and tricks and fear and frustration.  As independent and strong as I am (I am woman, hear me roar!), I can't lie and say that I wouldn't love for someone to come along and be a M-A-N.  When I say that, I don't mean I want someone to come in and dominate me (snicker snicker), but instead just to come in with the confidence a man should have and treat me like a man should.  Dating should be fun.  It should be exciting and knock-you-off-your-feet wonderful.  There should be butterflies when you get ready.  And he should be knocking at your door at the start of the date rather than meeting you on a random bar stool or honking the horn waiting in the car.  We should want to dress nicer, have our nails did, look a bit prettier than normal and care about exactly how we're coming across versus tossing on a pair of jeans, shrugging our shoulders and thinking, "here we go again..."  I believe this still exists in a small percentage of people, so maybe I'll just hold out for that man to show his face.  And his balls.



*the name of this creation is brought to you by Big Poppa.  David and I were in a chat sesh and he dropped the title like it was hot so I stole it.  But at least I am giving him credit (that's new for me.  Usually I thieve and take sole credit for things.)

2 comments:

  1. Seriously though, she does steal. And we're not just talking a check your pockets kinda thievery. Humility, Sanity, Maturity, Humanity... All in play

    ReplyDelete