I am not counting this as a blog entry (basically, if it's not snarky, it's not an entry. Period!) Just doin a little pimping of a site I think is pret-ty pret-ty pret-ty pret-ty goooood. (that was my shout out to Larry David, if you couldn't tell.)
Lyss turned me on to something she likes to call Pass It Forward. After you read a book, instead of popping it back on that bookshelf to accumulate dust, likely never to be opened again, she would give the book to someone she thought would enjoy it. I really liked that idea and started doing it myself. Then I stumbled on this website (actually, I think I found it one morning while doing my daily Facebook stalk) which basically allows you to swap out your books. I find the concept a cool one. Find a book you want to read, if there happens to be one available in the swap (there is a good chance it will be) then you request said book, pay only the shipping ($3-$4, typically) and the owner sends it to you. And you can do the same for others. The site keeps track of your swap history and for every 10 books you send, you get credit for them to pay shipping charges for the next one you request. It also tracks where the book has been, so sometimes you see one book having made it's way to 10 or so people, and there is just something cool about that to me. If some of the books you want aren't available for swap, you can add them to your wishlist and you can check that as often as you want to see if any have since come available, and you can receive email notifications of the books on your wishlist available for swap. Ok. Enough already.
It's maybe pathetic that I get so geeked up over this, but I do. If you're a fan of the book, you should do yourself a favor and check out the site. Instead of paying $20 for a new book you'll probably only read once, why not pay $3 instead?
http://www.goodreads.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment